10 Best Things to Do with Kids around Seaside, Florida
The 30 mile strip of pristine beaches nestled between Destin and Panama City Beach is known as the infamous 30-A Highway. Along 30-A you will find several beach communities bordering the sea but what is noticeably missing are the usual high rise hotels and condos you may find in busier beach towns. Driving along 30-A, you will pass through Santa Rosa Beach, Blue Mountain, Grayton, Watercolor and several more including Seagrove, Seacrest, Rosemary and Alys Beach. About half way, lies the quaint beachfront community called Seaside sprinkled with picturesque cottages, emerald waters and great waterfront dining. Seaside is a bike and pedestrian paradise known for its pastel-colored houses featuring porches and white picket fences. Shops, brightly colored food trucks and restaurants surround the town center. Just west, Grayton Beach State Park has trails and a coastal dune lake. Here are our 10 favorite family-friendly things to do in and around Seaside.
1. Seaside Town Center - During summer weekends, the Town Center provides an ampitheater for nightly entertainment, from live jazz concerts to movies under the stars. Bring your beach chair and a picnic and enjoy a memorable night out with your family. There are plenty of artsy shops to peruse during the day and amazing dining for the whole family.
2. Seaside Farmer's Market - 9:00 - 1:00 Saturdays located in the town cquare. Select from cheeses, sausages, fresh produce, baked goods, native plants and tons of unique offerings during the Market on Saturday mornings. This farmer's market is such a unique experience in such a beautiful location. Head over to Great Southern for a fabulous breakfast afterwards. The market is held behind Raw & Juicy food truck and across the street from Amavida Coffee Shop.
3. Fired Up: Paint Your Own Pottery - Perfect rainy day activity and what better souvenir to take home! Spend a day at a paint your own art studio. Mom’s you will love it too!
4. Food Truck Row - Lining the street in Seaside are six brightly colored Airstream Food Trucks. Kids love being able to run up and order from the trucks! For organic smoothies and snacks, check out Raw & Juicy. Wild Bill’s Beach Dogs features hot dogs with no antibiotics, hormones or nitrates and plenty of tasty toppings. Great food and also a cool experience (and great photo op!)
5. Sundog Books - One of Seaside’s oldest businesses, Sundog Books is like a life-long friend since 1986. A must see for visitors, the vintage book and record shop is home to hundreds of best sellers, vintage books, local photos displayed in coffee table photobooks and the most adorable children's section. Upstairs is a groovy vinyl record store with a laid back vibe.
6. The Truman House - Hey parents, go find the Truman House! For fifteen years, 30A’s picturesque idyllic beach community of Seaside was a little-known secret gem of a vacation spot along Florida’s Gulf Coast. But in 1996, the master-planned New Urbanist designed beach town hit the big time when it was chosen as the primary location for the filming of Jim Carrey’s blockbuster, The Truman Show. (The kids may not know about it but it's a kick for the parents!)
7. Beach Pavilions - The beach pavilions mark the end of every street, beckoning beachgoers to play in the waves, build castles in the sand or relax in the sun. There are nine unique Seaside, FL beach pavilions bordering the beach. Most stand at the end of the main streets leading to the beach. The nine different pavilions vary in style and were designed by different architects. They are symbols of the different beach communities and were all designed to be a gathering spot for families and friends and to provide a gateway to the beach.
8. The Beaches - The sandcastles are waiting to be built and the turquoise ocean and white sands are waiting to take your breath away! Sea, sand, sun and fun for everyone on one of the many beaches along 30-A. Picnic, sunbathe, swim or simply enjoy your favorite book while the kiddos play. Then head back to your very own vacation rental and enjoy the family chef's home cooked meal while relaxing in your home away from home!
9. Grayton Beach State Park - Pristine 2000 acre Grayton Beach State Park ranks as one of the most beautiful beaches in the United States. Families enjoy swimming, sunbathing, camping, kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing. 4 miles of trails for biking and hiking.
10. Deer Lake State Park - Grayton’s sister park is home to a beautiful coastal dune lake. Perfect place for families to picnic, swim and fish. A boardwalk provides a nice trail across the dunes. Coastal dune lakes are extremely rare worldwide and in the United States they occur only along the Gulf Coast.
Clanventure has several vacation rentals along 30-A in Watercolor, Rosemary Beach and along 30-A. Click here to see the homes!
Photo Credits: Joanne Weir Hammon, Jamie Wise Werner